Tuesday, October 22, 2013

We'd Starve Without a Bread Machine

    One of the biggest changes for us is that I have to cook. All the time. Like 3 meals a day! My son is now known for telling my mother "Grandma, did you know that my mom can cook? Like for real cook!" He's 10 years old & for the first 9 years of his life he didn't know that I could cook. Kinda sad isn't it? 
    Well, now he knows I can & one of my favorite items in the kitchen is my bread machine. It's used so much now that I actually don't buy bread products at the store anymore! I make all of our bread, buns, tortillas, pizza dough, etc! And it's so much better for you this way. It weirds me out now when I think about how long it takes store bought bread to go bad.  What all do they put in it that makes it last so long?! It can't be good for you!
      I wanted to share the first recipe that I started using frequently. It's a basic bread loaf for the bread machine that I've tweaked just a little. We use this bread for sandwiches, french toast (it's amazing for this!), & just eating! 


(2 lb loaf)

1 & ⅓ c lukewarm water (approx 85 degrees)
4 tsp margarine
2 tsp salt
4 c whole wheat flour (can use bread or all purpose, too)
4 tsp dry milk
2 tbl honey/sorghum (can use regular or brown sugar as well)
2 tsp active dry yeast

Add liquid ingredients to bread machine first. Then add dry ingredients except for yeast. Form a small well in the dry ingredients then add yeast. Close lid. Select “basic” setting then your crust color (usually light/medium/dark) and start your machine. When bread is done, you may leave it in the pan for an extra 30 minutes for a softer crust. For a more crispy crust, remove from pan immediately.

Original recipe from the Oster Expressbake Bread Machine Cookbook.

1 comment:

  1. I've wondered the same thing...what do they put in food to make it shelf stable for so long and what does it do inside my body??? It's obviously not keeping me fresh and young. :S

    ReplyDelete